|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Cainhoy Historic District, Berkeley County (Wando River off S.C. Hwy. 41, Cainhoy vicinity)
| Ms. Mary Lesene
|How Tavern||Sanders House|| George R. Sanders
| Lewis Fogartie
|Village Store|| Village Store/
|Ward House||Humphrey House|
The Cainhoy Historic District is composed of a collection of nine major buildings which range in date from the mid-eighteenth century through the early twentieth century. This group of buildings serves as an illustration of the cultural and architectural development of the village from a ferry landing to a small but thriving river port. Each building is a vernacular specimen from its respective period, and collectively, with the contributory structures and buildings, preserves the fabric of an early river port and ferry community. The origin of the name “Cainhoy” is not documented, however it is locally considered to have been associated with an earlier Native American village. The first white settlers in the area were primarily Scottish Presbyterian and French Huguenot farmers who eked out a bare existence on land so dry and barren as to be worth hardly a dollar an acre in 1826. Later settlers were attracted by those same dry conditions and located their homes there away from the unhealthy swamps. Cainhoy’s significance lies in its role as an early transportation link between inland Berkeley County and Charleston and in its fine collection of early buildings. In 1876 Cainhoy was the site of a political rally for Wade Hampton which degenerated into a brawl between blacks and whites. Christened the “Cainhoy Massacre,” the incident left seven men dead and sixteen wounded. Listed in the National Register on March 11, 1982.
View a map showing the boundaries of the Cainhoy Historic District.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.