|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Calais Milestones, Berkeley County (S.C. Sec. Rds. 98 & 44, Cainhoy vicinity)
|"26" Milestone||"23" Milestone||"22" Milestone|
The Calais Milestones marked the distance along the stagecoach road to the Calais-Dover Ferry. The ferry, operating between Calais Ferry House on Daniel Island in Berkeley County and Dover Ferry House just outside the City of Charleston, was established in 1793 by John Clement. Four stones are known to remain marking miles 12, 22, 23, and 26. The age of the milestones is a matter of speculation - three of the stones are believed to be 19th century markers, and one is believed to be an 18th century marker. The location of the highway seems to have changed to its present location in 1825 and it is assumed that these stones would have been placed in their present location at that time. The stones are approximately 8 feet long, with 2 ½ feet exposed above ground and are made of some sort of schist. The tops are rounded from side to side with smooth bevels on the edges. The back is relatively rough. The stones are unadorned or inscribed except near the top where each reads “__ to Calais.” Listed in the National Register March 14, 1973. Removed from the National Register December 8, 2005.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.