|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Biggin Church Ruins, Berkeley County (S.C. Hwy. 402, Moncks Corner vicinity)
|Church Ruins||Church Ruins||Church Ruins|| Church Ruins
| Church Ruins
Biggin Church Ruins are the remains of the parish church of St. John’s Parish. The church was established by an act of the South Carolina Commons House of Assembly in 1706, which divided the colony into ten parishes. The original Biggin Church was probably completed ca. 1711. Biggin Church was used through the mid-nineteenth century and the surrounding cemetery is still being used. During the American Revolution, ammunitions were stored in the church by British troops who, upon leaving, set the church on fire. The church was burned several other times throughout its use, the last time in the late 1800s when it was not subsequently rebuilt. For many years the site served as a local brickyard. Although only portions of two walls remain, there is evidence that originally Biggin Church was designed with a degree of sophistication. Notable architectural details which remain include a Gibbs surround at the main portal, quoins at the corner, radiating voussoirs over the windows, and a rounded water table—all executed in brick. Listed in the National Register December 13, 1977.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.