South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Pine Island Plantation Complex, Beaufort County (St. Helena Island)
S1081770705301 S1081770705302 S1081770705303 S1081770705304
Main House Dog House Barn Pump House

Pine Island Plantation is significant as a collection of historic properties that make up an intact example of an early twentieth-century hunting plantation. The concept of hunting plantations first developed in the late nineteenth century and increased in popularity in the early twentieth century. They were generally owned by wealthy businessmen and professionals. They were used for quail hunting from November to April and for entertaining business associates at other times. The main house at Pine Island was built ca. 1904 by Thomas Lee of Westport, N.Y. The two-story frame structure was built on an existing tabby foundation. The exterior walls are covered with wood shingles. A two-story porch extends across the main fašade. The complex includes the main house, which is stylistically similar to the American Foursquare, a cottage (ca. 1915), a toolshed/doghouse (ca. 1904), a barn (ca. 1936), and a pumphouse (ca. 1928). An automobile garage (ca. 1928) is located at the southwest end of the causeway (ca. 1904), both contributing to the Pine Island Plantation Complex. These remaining structures have metal gable roofs. Listed in the National Register May 26, 1989.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of St. Helena Island, ca. 1740-ca. 1935 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.