|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Orange Grove Plantation, Beaufort County (overlooking Wallace Creek, St. Helena Island)
Orange Grove Plantation illustrates the development of architectural styles and construction from the early nineteenth century to the early twentieth century for its association with several periods of historic occupation at Orange Grove Plantation. The district is primarily significant for its association with an early twentieth century influx of Northerners onto St. Helena Island, who bought historic houses or built new houses as winter retreats. Henry Bowles, a U.S. Representative from Massachusetts, purchased the plantation in 1928, which had been an antebellum home of the Fripp family. The plantation house, built ca. 1800, was in poor condition when Bowles bought the property; he demolished it and built the present house in 1928. Orange Grove was one of the first resort houses built on St. Helena after the opening of the bridge to Lady Island in 1927 and is illustrative of the early encroachment of development on South Carolina’s sea islands. The property also includes the tabby ruin of the kitchen, ca. 1800, and a tabby-walled cemetery containing three early nineteenth century graves of the Fripp and Perry families. Listed in the National Register May 26, 1989.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of St. Helena Island, ca. 1740-ca. 1935 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.