South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Frogmore Plantation Complex, Beaufort County (S.C. Rd. 77, St. Helena Island)
S1081770705101 S1081770705102 S1081770705103 S1081770705104 S1081770705105
Frogmore Plantation
Frogmore Plantation
Left Elevation
Frogmore Plantation
Rear Elevation
Cottage Tabby Barn
Water Tower

The Frogmore Plantation Complex is significant as an example of architectural development on St. Helena Island from ca. 1790 to ca.1920 and for its association with Laura Towne and Ellen Murray, the founders of Penn School, and with prominent St. Helena businessman James Ross Macdonald. The plantation was originally owned by Lt. Governor William Bull, who willed it to his son in 1750. The property passed into the hands of John and Elizabeth Stapleton in 1790; the house and barn were built ca. 1810, probably during their ownership. Thomas Coffin, owner of Coffin’s Point, owned Frogmore at his death in 1865. Three years later the house was purchased by Laura Towne and Ellen Murray. Miss Towne and Miss Murray were two of the first Northern missionaries and teachers who arrived on St. Helena in March 1862 and founded Penn School. They enlarged the house and remained there until their deaths, in 1900 and 1908 respectively. The house and plantation were subsequently purchased by James Ross Macdonald. The complex consists of the main house, another residence built ca. 1940 (non-contributing), a cottage (non-contributing), a pump house, a carport/shed (non-contributing), a barn, and a windmill/water tower. The house was built as a one and one-half story structure in the early nineteenth century and enlarged to two and one-half stories in the late nineteenth century. In the early twentieth century the porch was enlarged from one to two stories. The rectangular barn is a significant example of tabby construction. Listed in the National Register May 26, 1989.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of St. Helena Island, ca. 1740-ca. 1935 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.