South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Fort Fremont Hospital, Beaufort County (Lands End Rd., St. Helena Island)
S1081770705001 S1081770705002 S1081770705003 S1081770705004
Facade Right Rear
Rear Elevation Left Rear

Fort Fremont Hospital is significant both as an example of early twentieth century military architecture and as the only surviving building, other than the fortification itself, of the Fort Fremont Complex. The Colonial Revival building was built ca. 1906 to replace a temporary frame building which was the original hospital for the garrison. Since the decommissioning of Fort Fremont and its sale at public auction in 1930, the hospital has been privately owned. The hospital is composed of two sections: a square, two-story section with a hipped roof and a one-story rectangular wing. The masonry building rests on a granite foundation. Slate is used for the roofing material. Projecting from the roof of the two-story portion are four hipped dormers, fenestrated with paired windows, and two ventilators. The hospital utilized a unique cooling system. Air intake boxes under the windows connect to a ductwork system and open at floor level inside the rooms, under metal radiators. Large ducts extend throughout the house and vent out through the metal ventilators that project from the roof. The building originally contained offices, an operating room, isolation ward, mess room, kitchen, linen room, dispensary, and dormitory. The basement was divided into a store room, boiler room, vegetable cellar, and medicine store room. The one-story section was used as an eight-bed patient ward. Listed in the National Register May 26, 1989.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of St. Helena Island, ca. 1740-ca. 1935 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.