|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
St. Helenaville Archaeological Site, Beaufort County (Address Restricted)
|Tabby Ruins||Tabby Ruins|
St. Helenaville Archaeological Site is significant for its potential to yield information about the village of St. Helenaville. St. Helenaville was a small antebellum village and summer retreat located on the northeastern end of St. Helena Island. Situated on a pineland bluff area adjacent to Village Creek and overlooking St. Helena Sound, the village could be reached by water and by one of the island’s two major roads. By the late 1850s, St. Helenaville was a port of call; schooners and steamers stopping there transported much of the island’s cotton to the mainland. The village was most active during late spring and summer when most plantation owners moved their families to their summer cottages. Year-round residents were primarily widows and clergymen who occupied well-constructed houses. St. Helenaville was damaged by several major storms, which ultimately caused part of the village to fall into the sound. There is very little historical documentation of the village. Several remains of tabby and brick are evident. Because of the site’s integrity, intact archaeological features, and historical significance relative to the antebellum and postbellum period occupations are indicative of its potential to yield significant scientific data. Listed in the National Register October 6, 1988.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of St. Helena Island, ca. 1740-ca. 1935 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.