|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
The Green, Beaufort County (U.S. Hwy. 21 & Lands End Rd., St. Helena Island)
The Green is an open plot of land near the center of St. Helena Island at a place commonly called the Corner. The Green is significant both historically as the long-established site of community meetings, celebrations, and other gatherings, and for its potential to yield information in historical archaeology. The Green was the site of the first Darrah Hall, an auditorium and community center built ca. 1885 by Penn School. After the hurricane in August 1893 many homeless refugees crowded into the building seeking shelter. They built fires inside the hall, one of these spread and destroyed Darrah. Since that time the Green has continued to serve as a gathering place for the people of St. Helena Island. Such activities as Emancipation Day, celebrating the adoption of the Emancipation Proclamation in 1863; the annual Farmers’ Fair; and community sings were held all or in part at the Green. Listed in the National Register October 6, 1988.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of St. Helena Island, ca. 1740-ca. 1935 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.