|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Isaac Fripp House Ruiins, Beaufort County (S.C. Sec. Rd. 45, St. Helena Island)
|Ruin Overview||Ruin Detail||Fireplace Ruin|
The Isaac Fripp House Ruins, located at Bay View overlooking the junction of Chowan Creek and the Beaufort River, are significant as a particularly intact example of early- to mid-nineteenth century tabby construction and for their association with Isaac Fripp, a planter of sea island cotton and other staples on St. Helena Island. Fripp, born in 1798, was a member of one of the most prominent families on St. Helena Island. In 1850 and 1860 he planted such crops as cotton, rice, corn, and sweet potatoes, working some eighty slaves on a plantation of some two to four hundred acres. The two-story house is significant as one of the most intact tabby buildings on the island. Much of the historic fabric, including the walls and much of the plaster, remain. The ruins have archaeological potential, which may provide data on the construction of the house, the lifestyle of its occupants, and the operation of the Fripp plantation. Listed in the National Register October 6, 1988.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of St. Helena Island, ca. 1740-ca. 1935 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.