|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
The Corner Store and Office, Beaufort County (U.S. Hwy. 21, St. Helena Island)
| The Corner Store
|Right Oblique|| The Corner Office
(Macdonald, Wilkins & Co. Store/Mark D. Batchelder Office) The store is significant as an example of late nineteenth century commercial architecture and for its economic and social importance to residents of St. Helena Island. The Corner Store was built ca. 1877 by James Ross MacDonald, a businessman from Rhode Island who moved to St. Helena Island in an effort to improve his health. MacDonald’s store, located near the center of the island at a place historically known as the Corner, sold provisions to the islanders, most of whom were African American. The Corner Store became one of the major centers of commercial and social activity on St. Helena. One of the early post offices for St. Helena Island was also operated in the Corner Store. The office, built ca. 1905, is significant as an example of early twentieth century commercial architecture and for its association with the firm of MacDonald, Wilkins, and Company. This building served as an office for Mark D. Batchelder, a junior partner of MacDonald, Wilkins, and Company, which operated the store and shipped sea island cotton. Listed in the National Register October 6, 1988.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of St. Helena Island, ca. 1740-ca. 1935 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.