South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Dr. York Bailey House, Beaufort County (U.S. Hwy. 21, St. Helena Island)

The Dr. York W. Bailey House is significant as an intact and good example of the vernacular American Foursquare house form, popular in the early twentieth century. It is also significant for its association with Dr. York W. Bailey, a prominent native of the island who was St. Helena’s first black doctor and only resident physician for over 50 years. The two story house was built ca. 1915 for Bailey. He ordered it from a mail-order catalog and it was shipped to Beaufort, then brought across to the island by boat and assembled. He lived in this house until his death in 1971. Bailey, born on St. Helena in 1881, graduated from Penn School and Hampton Institute and studied medicine at Howard University, returning to the island in 1906. During his tenure as the island’s only resident doctor he was often paid in trade with livestock or produce, which he sold in Beaufort. His career was frequently cited as an example of the success of the Penn School in educating the blacks of St. Helena, and the York W. Bailey Cultural Center and Museum at Penn Community Center is named for him. Listed in the National Register October 6, 1988.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of St. Helena Island, ca. 1740-ca. 1935 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.