South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Fort Lyttelton Site, Beaufort County (Address Restricted)
No Photo Available

The Fort Lyttleton Site is significant for historic archaeology, architecture, military and industrial uses. The fort was named for William Henry Lyttleton, Royal Governor of South Carolina 1756-1760. The site contains artifacts and structural remains from three centuries: the eighteenth century and early nineteenth century marked its primary military period (Fort Lyttleton 1758-1781; interim 1781-1807; Fort Marion 1807-ca. 1821); the phosphate period in the late nineteenth century; early twentieth century shipbuilding; and the modern period. As such it is a fascinating document of continued land use since colonial times. It provides concrete evidence for theories of military fortification in vogue at the time and for methods employed in building with tabby. The Fort Marion wall is one of the most massive tabby structures in existence. Both Fort Lyttleton and Marion were designed as naval fortifications with the prime function of protecting the river approach to the city of Beaufort. The site provides limited information on nineteenth and early twentieth century industry in the region. Phosphate mining and the processing was vital to the local economy in the late nineteenth century and the shipbuilding, an early experiment in using concrete hulls was a brief phenomenon but nevertheless an example of a sporadically recurring industry of the region. Listed in the National Register September 13, 1979.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.