|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Seaside Plantation, Beaufort County (S.C. Sec. Rd. 77, St. Helena Island)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Right Oblique||Right Elevation|| Right Rear
| Left Rear
|Left Elevation|| Outbuilding
Barn and Silo
(Edgar Fripp Plantation) The Seaside plantation house is believed to have been constructed by members of the Fripp family circa 1795 to 1810. The house is architecturally significant as a local interpretation exemplary of the transitional period between the Georgian and Federal styles and is historically significant both for its associations with a locally prominent family and for its role in the Port Royal Experiment. Among the outstanding architectural features of the house are the one-story hipped roof portico, tripartite windows, cantilevered elliptical stair, and the Adam style decoration of the first floor right front room. In form, the house as originally constructed was basically rectangular with a center extension projecting from the rear of the second story. Seaside was one of the plantations participating in the Port Royal Experiment and had as its labor superintendent Charles Ware of Boston, who also resided there. Richard Soule, General Superintendent of the Port Royal Experiment for St. Helena and Lady Island’s, lived at Seaside, as did Charlotte Forten, missionary, teacher, and member of a prominent Philadelphia black abolitionist family. Seaside is one of only a few remaining antebellum plantation houses out of an original fifty-four on St. Helena. Located near the house and within the nominated acreage are four dependencies: the original, brick-lined well, a clapboard shed, a large barn with clapboard siding and tin roof, and a round concrete and oyster shell silo. Listed in the National Register June 16, 1979.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.