|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Parris Island Drydock and Commanding General's House, Beaufort County
(Mexico & Tripoli Sts., Parris Island)
The Parris Island Drydock is significant both from a historic and an engineering standpoint. It was one of the few wooden graving-type drydocks ever constructed in this country, was the largest naval drydock at the time of its construction in the early 1890s, and was the largest wooden drydock ever constructed in the nation. When in use the drydock was sealed off from the Beaufort River by means of a floating caisson type gate. As ships began to outgrow the drydock in the 1920s it was allowed to fall into disrepair. The Victorian style Commanding General’s home (Quarters One) and its neighboring ca. 1900 octagonal mode gazebo reflect the style of living prevalent on military posts of the period. They are among the first few permanent structures built by the military on Parris Island and, in the case of Quarters One, the home of the Marine Corps’ greatest generals including two former Commandants, Generals W.M. Greene, Jr. and D.M. Shoup. Constructed between 1891 and 1895, Quarters One has been the traditional home of the depot Commanding General. The two-story house boasts 27 rooms and a porch which spans the entire front and partially down both sides of the house. Although the house has undergone several renovations, it still retains its basic floor plan. Listed in the National Register November 21, 1978.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.