South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Old Brass, Beaufort County (River Rd., Yemassee vicinity)
S1081770702501 S1081770702502 S1081770702503 S1081770702504 S1081770702505
Facade Left Oblique Left Rear
Right Rear
Facade Detail
S1081770702506 S1081770702507 S1081770702508 S1081770702509 S1081770702510
Courtyard Detail Angled Windows Interior
Living Room
Caretaker's Cottage
Manager's Office
and stables

(Auldbrass Plantation) Old Brass was designed and built by Frank Lloyd Wright during the period between 1940 and 1951. Wright’s design incorporated aspects of traditional plantation architecture with innovative structure and details. His design, inspired by nature, reflects the natural environment of the South Carolina lowcountry characterized by cypress trees and live oaks draped with Spanish moss. The main house is a long structure which appears to be an extension of the native landscape. The structure is based on hexagonal modules which are joined to create various interpenetrating planes. The slanting exterior walls of native cypress lumber are laid diagonally and held by brass screws. The slant of the walls at an 80-degree angle reflects the slant of the oak trees. Located beneath the roofline are windows which feature an abstract design thought to have been inspired by Indian arrowheads. A lantern roof is located above the main roof of the structure. It features the arrowhead motif along its clerestory. At the exterior corners there are abstract wooden sculptured versions of Spanish moss. Extending from the ends of the structure, as well as encircling it, are concrete terraces which feature a hexagonal pattern. Included in Wright’s design for Old Brass are outbuildings that create a working plantation: gatehouse, manager’s quarters, kennels, stables, and two caretaker houses. All these outbuildings feature the diagonally-laid cypress walls at the 80-degree incline. A guest house and storage building are also on the property, although not designed by Wright. Listed in the National Register June 3, 1976.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.