|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Tombee Plantation, Beaufort County (St. Helena Island)
|Facade||Right Oblique|| Right Rear
| Left Rear
Tombee Plantation is one of the few surviving antebellum plantation houses remaining on St. Helena Island. The structure retains much of its original interior detailing and is an example of the smaller plantation house which once existed on the sea islands in Beaufort County. The house is a two-story clapboard structure set on a high tabby foundation. Probably built ca. 1790-1800, Tombee was constructed in a T-shape, allowing each room to have window exposure on three sides. The structure has a gable roof. The front portico is single story with four square columns and balustrade; the rear fašade has a two-story balustraded porch with six square columns on each floor. Doors on each floor of the rear fašade have transom with semi-circular fanlight inset. Tombee Plantation was divided into tracts during the days of the “Port Royal Experiment” in 1862. It remained in the hands of descendants of freed slaves until 1971. Listed in the National Register September 18, 1975.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.