|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Church of the Cross, Beaufort County (Calhoun St., Bluffton)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Right Oblique||Right Elevation||Rear Elevation|
| Left Rear
|Facade Detail||Side Entrance|
The Church of the Cross, ca. 1857, is significant architecturally as a design of Edward Brickell White. White (1806-1882), a prolific engineer and architect of the mid-nineteenth century, was proficient in a wide range of styles: Classic, Renaissance, and Gothic Revival. White designed numerous churches, schools, office buildings and commercial structures in South Carolina. The cruciform shaped Church of the Cross, completed in 1857, is one of his Gothic Revival designs, but differs from the stuccoed, more formal churches of Charleston and Columbia. The Carpenter Gothic style with board and batten exterior and interior open timbered roof is in keeping with the church’s scenic, rural setting. The architect’s choice of material, unfinished cypress, and his use of proportion and design, confirm his sensitivity to the character of the small church. Located on a bluff overlooking the May River, the church is surrounded by live oak and palmetto trees. In 1960 a parish house, which is included in the area nominated, was built in a style compatible with the church, using cruciform plan, pointed arch windows and doors, and weathered cypress siding. Listed in the National Register May 29, 1975.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.