South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

John A. Cuthbert House, Beaufort County (1203 Bay St., Beaufort)
S1081770701101 S1081770701102 S1081770701103 S1081770701104 S1081770701105
Facade Portico Detail Main Entrance Left Oblique Right Oblique
S1081770701106 S1081770701107 S1081770701108    
Right Elevation Rear Ell
Facade
Rear Elevation

Architecturally, the Cuthbert House is typical of Beaufort’s gracious waterfront homes and is an important component of the Beaufort Historic District. Built ca. 1811, the Federal style Cuthbert House is mounted on a raised foundation with central hallways on both floors extending from front to rear, the white clapboard house is designed to take advantage of the waterfront southwesterly breezes. The fašade has a central, double-tiered portico supported by Tuscan columns. First floor entrance is surmounted by a semi-elliptical fanlight and flanked by sidelights and has a pair of shuttered windows to either side. Alterations of the late nineteenth century include the addition of rooms, bay windows, Victorian trim and porches on either side of the central portico. John Alexander Cuthbert was born 1790 in St. Helena’s Parish, South Carolina. In 1811, he married Mary B. Williamson of Prince William’s Parish for whom this house was built. During the Civil War, the Cuthbert House became the property of US Army Brigadier General Rufus Saxton. General Saxton became director of freemen affairs and cultivation in June 1862 when this responsibility was shifted from the Treasury to the War Department. Listed in the National Register June 13, 1972.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.