|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
The Anchorage, Beaufort County (1103 Bay St., Beaufort)
|Facade||Main Entrance||Left Oblique||Left Elevation||Eave Detail|
(William Elliot House) The builder of this pre-Revolutionary house was Ralph Elliott, who willed it to his nephew, William, a prosperous planter in the district and a member of a prominent family which had been in the colony since the 1690s. In 1772 William Elliott was a representative to The Commons House of Assembly. Prior to the Civil War his grandson, William Elliott III, author, politician, agriculturist and poet occupied the house. During the occupation of Beaufort the house was used as a hospital and designated the “Mission House.” In 1876, General Wade Hampton spoke to the people of Beaufort from the porch. The house has five floors including a ground floor and an attic. It is built of white clapboard on a four-foot wide tabby foundation. Across the front extended a wide piazza with six simple columns. A wide hall with two large rooms on each side leads from the front to the back on each floor. In 1891 Admiral Beardsley bought the house, named it "The Anchorage" and spent approximately $80,000 remodeling, adding stucco to the exterior and ornate carved woodwork to the exterior and to the interior. A second story piazza was built and the simple columns were exchanged for Corinthian. Listed in the National Register November 23, 1971.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.