|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
William Barnwell House, Beaufort County (501 King St., Beaufort)
|Facade||Main Entrance||Left Oblique||Right Oblique||Rear Elevation|
This square house with a wide two-story portico is an excellent example of typical historic Beaufort residences. Built in 1816 as a wedding gift for Sarah Reeves Gibbes by her brothers, and assisted by Philadelphia artisans, it derives its name from her husband, William Wigg Barnwell, a Beaufort farmer and plantation owner. Sarah was the great-granddaughter of famed “Tuscarora Jack” Barnwell, leader of the bloody 1711-1712 expedition against Tuscarora Indians of North Carolina. The three-story white clapboard structure has a two-story veranda across the entire front facing south toward the river. Slender classical columns juxtapose on one another. The house is three bays wide and deep with a central front entrance. The veranda originally faced a formal garden, but that area is now occupied by other houses. The house was formerly located at 800 Prince Street. Listed in the National Register March 24, 1971.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.