|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Hunting Island State Park Lighthouse, Beaufort County (U.S. Hwy. 21, Hunting Island)
|Aerial View||Lighthouse|| Lighthouse
| Railing and Walk
|Walk Detail||Walk Detail|
One of the sea islands near Beaufort, Hunting Island has lush, unspoiled vegetation and wild beauty. It was formerly accessible only by boat, but is presently connected to the mainland by a bridge and causeway. The original lighthouse, a wooden structure built about 1859, was destroyed by beach erosion. In replacing the lighthouse, the US Coast Guard built a tower 136 feet tall. Made of cast iron plates, this was located about ¼ mile from the shoreline, and was designed for relocation if necessary. The new lighthouse complex, completed in 1875, included the keeper’s dwelling, a fire-proof oil house, and several other storage buildings. By 1889, the sea had cut away the northern end of the island, and did necessitate relocation of the lighthouse to its present site, 1 ¼ miles south of the old site. Before its abandonment by the US Lighthouse Service in 1933, Hunting Island Lighthouse cast a 120,000 candle power beam out to sea. Listed in the National Register June 5, 1970.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.