|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Old Presbyterian Church, Barnwell County (1905 Academy St., Barnwell)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Left Elevation||Rear Elevation|
(Barnwell First Presbyterian Church) The Old Presbyterian Church is significant for its architecture and as the town of Barnwell’s first Presbyterian Church, which was used as the Barnwell County Courthouse during Reconstruction. It is also one of the few remaining antebellum buildings in town which was almost entirely destroyed by Gen. Sherman’s troops. The church was organized in June of 1832 by the Reverend Dr. James Henley Thornwell, a noted Presbyterian clergyman and later president of South Carolina College. The present church was built ca. 1848 of Greek Revival design with Gothic details. The pedimented gable roof is supported by four large square columns that rest on brick piers. Each window is crowned by a lancet arch with tracery of wood and glass. The church was apparently constructed by a local craftsman and has hand carved interior woodwork and a slave gallery. Listed in the National Register April 13, 1972.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.