|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Church of the Holy Apostles Rectory, Barnwell County (1700 Hagood Ave., Barnwell)
|Facade||Right Oblique||Left Oblique||Right Rear Oblique|
An example of Gothic Revival architecture, the one-and-a-half story Rectory, circa 1857, is one of Barnwell’s few remaining antebellum structures. Similar in design to a structure in A.J. Downing’s Architecture of Country Houses, the Rectory illustrates the “Carpenter’s Gothic,” a symmetrical cottage popularized by Downing and A.J. Davis. The exterior walls are of cypress board and batten construction. The fašade is characterized by two dormers, trimmed in bargeboard, one on each side of a projecting pointed arch bay with portico. The portico is supported by four built-up lattice columns. Built for Reverend Edwin Wagner, the first rector of Barnwell’s Church of the Holy Apostles, the Rectory has also been the home of men active in local and state political affairs. Subsequent owners served in the South Carolina House of Representatives, including James T. Aldrich (1878-1882, 1884-1889) and Dr. Angus Bethune Patterson (1906-1910). Patterson also served in the state senate from 1912-1916 and 1924-1928. Listed in the National Register November 21, 1974.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.