|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Church of the Holy Apostles, Barnwell County (1706 Hagood Ave., Barnwell)
|Right Elevation|| Interior
The church is significant for its architecture and as one of the few remaining antebellum structures in Barnwell, which was almost completely destroyed by Gen. William T. Sherman’s troops. The church is an excellent example of a Gothic Revival structure which combines, in its exterior appearance and interior arrangement, simplicity of plan and an architectural and ecclesiastical propriety not found in many rural areas of South Carolina. The design of the church was planned by Barbot and Seyle, noted Charleston architects and built ca. 1856. The features include cypress board and batten construction consisting of a nave, chancel, vestry, and tower, a double front door with a Gothic window above with simple tracery surmounted by ornamental dripstone, and a square gabled tower with an ornamental cornice surmounted by a wooden cross. The tower has louvered vents and double shouldered corner buttresses, and there is a small gable transept at right rear. The chimney on the right side was added in 1867. The original stained glass windows, though repaired, are magnificent. The window behind the altar was given by James Hammond, Governor and U.S. Senator. Church tradition holds that the windows were taken out and buried before Sherman came. The church was damaged and used as a stable by Kilpatrick’s Calvary. It was restored and regular services began again in 1883. Listed in the National Register April 13, 1972.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.