|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Banskia Hall, Barnwell County (2108 Reynolds Rd., Barnwell)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Rear Elevation|
(Manville House) Banskia Hall presents a typical picture of a South Carolina upcountry style plantation house of ca. 1780-1800. The house is of simple Georgian design in the style common from Georgia to Pennsylvania in the late eighteenth century. The house is two-stories with rear shed projections and a wide, full fašade piazza. Its solid square columns support the second level porch that was added prior to 1900. The kitchen was reconstructed about 1866 and connected via a breezeway to the rear elevation of this long leaf pine building. In 1950 a porch replaced the breezeway and two bathrooms were added. From 1865 until 1868 federal military forces that occupied the western lowcountry of South Carolina used the house. What is now the drawing room was used as the office in which an oath of allegiance to the United States was administered. Pardon was promised to those who had participated in the war if they would pledge allegiance to the Union and obedience to the laws of the United States. Listed in the National Register May 31, 1974.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.