South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Bamberg Post Office, Bamberg County (11995 Heritage Hwy., Bamberg)
S1081770501201 S1081770501202 S1081770501203 S1081770501204 S1081770501205
Facade Right Oblique Right Elevation Rear Elevation Left Elevation
S1081770501206 S1081770501207 S1081770501208 S1081770501209 S1081770501210
Main Entrance Palladian Window
over Entrance
Detail of
English Bond
S1081770501211 S1081770501212 S1081770501213 S1081770501214 S1081770501215
Entrance and
Post Office
Chair Rail
and Marble
Office Door
Dorothea Mierisch's
"Cotton Through
the Ages" Mural

The Bamberg Post Office, built in 1937-38, is significant as an excellent example of a New Deal-era post office with a modern classic or restrained Colonial Revival design produced by the Public Works Division of the U.S. Department of the Treasury, and including a 1939 mural funded by the Section of Fine Arts of the Department of the Treasury. It is also significant as a design directed by Louis A. Simon, Supervising Architect of the Department of the Treasury, who oversaw a staff of architects designing post offices, courthouses, office buildings, and other federal government buildings under the administration of Franklin D. Roosevelt. This post office was also designed to include offices for the county extension agent and the county home demonstration agent, programs administered by the Extension Service of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, and in part by the Agricultural Adjustment Administration, during the New Deal era. The featured mural, “Cotton The World Over,” painted in oil on canvas by Dorothea Mierisch of New York, was intended to emphasize the significance of cotton in world, American, state, and local history. The Bamberg Post Office is a relatively plain, even spare, building, in part reflecting the design philosophy of the Public Works Division and in part reflecting the economy of the second half of the decade in which it was constructed. The building's form is rectangular with any architectural ornamentation decidedly recessed, shallow in relief, or omitted. Its basement walls are laid in smooth cast stone, while the upper red brick walls are laid in English bond, with the only characteristic belying its crispness of form being a distinctly textured pattern created by the alternating courses of headers and stretchers. Listed in the National Register May 22, 2007.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.