|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Bamberg City Hall, Bamberg County (3069 Main Hwy., Bamberg)
|Facade||Right Oblique||Rear Elevation|| Facade
First Floor Detail
|Right Oblique Detail|| Facade
|Side Door||Side Door|
Bamberg City Hall, built 1908-09, is significant as an intact example of an early twentieth century governmental building designed by the firm of Sayre and Baldwin, and for its service as Bamberg City Hall from 1909 to 1978. This building is the second separate city hall built in Bamberg; the first, a brick building, was built ca. 1880 and replaced by this building. It was designed by the Anderson, S.C. firm of Sayre and Baldwin, a partnership of Christopher Gadsden Sayre and James J. Baldwin, active in Anderson from 1908 to 1914. Sayre, and later Sayre and Baldwin, were best known during this period for their designs of South Carolina schools. It is a three-story brick and cast stone commercial building with a Classical Revival fašade. The fašade is organized as a tall building with a base, shaft and capital. Its walls are laid in a variation of common or American bond, with every sixth course consisting of alternating stretchers and headers. At street level the building features stout brick paneled corner piers/pilasters that have been painted white and a cast stone lintel with entablature and projecting box cornice. The box cornice provides a distinct horizontal separation between the first and upper levels of the building. The building also housed the Bamberg City Library on its third floor from 1924 to 1945. Listed in the National Register September 28, 2005.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.