South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Denmark High School, Bamberg County (N. Palmetto Ave., Denmark)
S1081770500501 S1081770500502 S1081770500503 S1081770500504 S1081770500505
Right Oblique Left Oblique Left Oblique Detail
1920 Building right,
1932 Gym
Left Elevation
1920 Building right
1932 Gym left
Rear Elevation
1932 Gym
S1081770500506 S1081770500507 S1081770500508 S1081770500509 S1081770500510
Rear Entrance
1920 Building
Right Elevation Main Entrance
1920 Building
Main Entrance
1948 Addition
Rear Entrance
1932 Gym
S1081770500511 S1081770500512 S1081770500513 S1081770500514 S1081770500515
Exposed Rafter Tails
and decorative
Classroom door,
transom, and moldings

Built in 1920, Denmark High School is an excellent example of Classical Revival educational architecture. The school was significantly enlarged in 1932 and again in 1948 to include a gymnasium and additional classroom space. The original 1920 building, likely the design of Charles Coker Wilson, is laid in five-to-one American bond pattern, contains a soldier course water table and features as its centerpiece a projecting parapet-gabled entrance pavilion with a double-leaf entrance and a two-tiered arched glass transom and archivolt. Denmark High School closely resembles other examples of Wilsons’ schools of the same period that typically feature cupolas, chevron-patterned and glazed color tile friezes, similar floor plans, functional layouts, and architectural treatment like the features of this school. This school also has a hipped roof that is clad in gray slates and features exposed rafter tails. Denmark High served the educational needs of the town of Denmark from 1920 to 1985. Listed in the National Register March 29, 2001.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.