|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
General Francis Marion Bamberg House, Bamberg County (N. Railroad Ave., & N. Carlisle St., Bamberg)
|Facade||Right Oblique|| Right Oblique
|Left Oblique||Right Rear Oblique|
|Rear Elevation||Left Rear Oblique||Main Entrance||Porch Detail|
The builder of the Bamberg House, General Francis Marion Bamberg (1838-1905), played a vital role in the growth of the town and county of Bamberg. Gen. Bamberg promoted the educational, religious, economic and cultural growth of the town of Bamberg, served as director and president of the Bamberg Banking Company, and helped establish the Bamberg Textile Mill and served as its director. He also gave a library and gymnasium to the Carlisle Fitting School and large donations for the construction of a new Methodist church. The Bamberg House exemplifies a simplified Queen Anne structure, believed to have been built between 1869 and 1880. The five-sided wing, bay window, gables, brackets and irregularity of plan are all characteristic of this architectural style as are the asymmetrical fašade, full length sash windows, and patterned brick chimneys. The tin roof features six chimneys, four of which have corbeled caps. The cornice is supported by wooden brackets. The house also has two remaining outbuildings: a smokehouse and a chicken house. The house is located in one of Bamberg’s oldest residential areas amidst structures of compatible architectural style. Listed in the National Register June 29, 1976.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.