|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Faith Cabin Library at Anderson County Training School, Anderson County (145 Town St., Pendleton)
|Facade||Right Oblique||Right Elevation||Right Rear Oblique||Left Rear Oblique|
The Faith Cabin Library at Anderson County Training School is significant for its role in African-American education and social history in South Carolina from ca. 1936, when it was built, to 1954, when Anderson County Training School closed with the construction of a new African-American “equalization school” nearby. It is also significant as one of only two remaining free-standing Faith Cabin Libraries extant of the thirty built in South Carolina between 1932 and 1943. The Faith Cabin Library at Anderson County Training School was a part of the larger Faith Cabin Library program created by Willie Lee Buffington, a white mill worker who later became a Methodist minister and college professor, that offered library services to rural African Americans in South Carolina. The segregation laws of the late nineteenth and early twentieth century barred African Americans from using other library facilities beyond what was offered in Columbia and Charleston. The black community of Pendleton and nearby rural communities of Anderson County were among the thirty communities fortunate to participate in the Faith Cabin Library program. Faith Cabin Libraries not only served the schools nearby but also served the larger African American communities in their area as well. By building free-standing libraries, the Faith Cabin Library movement provided access to library services for the community completely independent of school hours. During the transition of certain schools to community centers, these libraries remained open to provide access. The building is a one-room log cabin built with donated money and timber from the community. Listed in the National Register November 14, 2012.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.