South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

North Anderson Historic District, Anderson County (Anderson)
S1081770402131 S1081770402132 S1081770402133 S1081770402134 S1081770402135
1711 S. Holly St. 407 Watson Ave. 411 Watson Ave. 413 Watson Ave. 421 Watson Ave.
S1081770402136 S1081770402137 S1081770402138 S1081770402139 S1081770402140
423 Watson Ave. 2203 W. North Ave. 2211 W. North Ave. 2309 W. North Ave. 2403 W. North Ave.

Previous Page 2 of 2

The North Anderson Historic District is architecturally significant and distinguishable as an intact collection of early twentieth century Revivals and American Movements. Some styles are epitomized by particularly fine individual examples; others are represented by a group of properties that collectively exhibit the characteristics of the styles. The district is also significant for its history associated with the themes of community planning and development. The district represents the transformation of Andersonís rural landscape into a planned urban residential development. From 1913 to circa 1950 the area evolved from small, family-owned farms and recreational forests, to the first ring of suburban development in the city. The development patterns closely paralleled the early twentieth century transportation innovations. These innovations, especially the electric streetcar, enabled a rising class of textile industrial managers and other white-collar professions to live in the outer reaches of Anderson. The district also reflects the demand for housing in this rapidly growing city, created by the shift from a rural regional economy to an industrial one. The district features early twentieth century Revival styles including Tudor, Colonial, and Neo-Classical. Craftsman bungalows and Minimal Traditional homes are also well represented. A few individual properties reflect an eclectic blend of more than one style. The district is comprised of 147 contributing residences, 25 contributing garages, one contributing kitchen house, and three contributing parks. Noncontributing properties include 22 residences and seven garages. Listed in the National Register July 31, 2008.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.