South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

North Anderson Historic District, Anderson County (Anderson)
S1081770402101 S1081770402102 S1081770402103 S1081770402104 S1081770402105
Park-Blair St.
and Edgewood Ave.
111 Anderson Ave. 114 Anderson Ave. 116 Anderson Ave. 119 Anderson Ave.
S1081770402106 S1081770402107 S1081770402108 S1081770402109 S1081770402110
121 Anderson Ave. 415 Blair St. 418 Blair St. 422 Blair St. 500 Blair St.
S1081770402111 S1081770402112 S1081770402113 S1081770402114 S1081770402115
507 Blair St. 509 Blair St. 417 Boundary St. 408 Central Ave. 415 Central Ave.
S1081770402116 S1081770402117 S1081770402118 S1081770402119 S1081770402120
423 Central Ave. 2204 E. North Ave. 2208 E. North Ave. 2304 E. North Ave. 2400 E. North Ave.
S1081770402121 S1081770402122 S1081770402123 S1081770402124 S1081770402125
2408 E. North Ave. 2502 E. North Ave. 2305 Edgewood Ave. 206 Forest Ave. 212 Forest Ave.
S1081770402126 S1081770402127 S1081770402128 S1081770402129 S1081770402130
106 North Ave. 108 North Ave. 204 North Ave. Shangri-La
208 North Ave.
1704 Park St.

Page 1 of 2 Next

The North Anderson Historic District is architecturally significant and distinguishable as an intact collection of early twentieth century Revivals and American Movements. Some styles are epitomized by particularly fine individual examples; others are represented by a group of properties that collectively exhibit the characteristics of the styles. The district is also significant for its history associated with the themes of community planning and development. The district represents the transformation of Andersonís rural landscape into a planned urban residential development. From 1913 to circa 1950 the area evolved from small, family-owned farms and recreational forests, to the first ring of suburban development in the city. The development patterns closely paralleled the early twentieth century transportation innovations. These innovations, especially the electric streetcar, enabled a rising class of textile industrial managers and other white-collar professions to live in the outer reaches of Anderson. The district also reflects the demand for housing in this rapidly growing city, created by the shift from a rural regional economy to an industrial one. The district features early twentieth century Revival styles including Tudor, Colonial, and Neo-Classical. Craftsman bungalows and Minimal Traditional homes are also well represented. A few individual properties reflect an eclectic blend of more than one style. The district is comprised of 147 contributing residences, 25 contributing garages, one contributing kitchen house, and three contributing parks. Noncontributing properties include 22 residences and seven garages. Listed in the National Register July 31, 2008.

View a map showing the boundaries of the North Anderson Historic District.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.