South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Woodson Farmstead, Anderson County (3 Powdersville Rd., Greenville vicinity)
S1081770401801 S1081770401802 S1081770401803 S1081770401804 S1081770401805
Right Oblique Front Porch
Right Rear
Right Elevation
Gable Detail
Window Detail
S1081770401806 S1081770401807      
Well House
ca. 1875
Cotton House
ca. 1875

The Woodson Farmstead consists of an 1895 two-story farmhouse, a ca. 1875 cotton house and well house, and remnants of an early twentieth century pecan grove and fruit orchard. Contributing to upstate South Carolina’s agriculture for over 150 years and playing an instrumental part in the establishment of the Powdersville community, the Woodson Farmstead is a notable landmark. Established in 1852 by William Woodson, the farm exemplifies mid-nineteenth to mid-twentieth century upstate agriculture. There were 13 known structures (including the first two Woodson dwellings, a slave residence, and multiple agricultural outbuildings) and 3 outhouses built on the property after 1852. The farmstead was a successful producer of corn, hay, cotton, tobacco, and oats. A tangible reminder of that agricultural success is the third and current house constructed on the property in 1895. James Allen Woodson commissioned expert carpenter and builder John O. Sheck of Washington, DC, to build an impressive home. Distinctly rural piedmont in form, the Woodson farmhouse displays picturesque Queen Anne and Eastlake ornamentation in a way that distinguishes it from many other typical upcountry farm residences. Stained glass windows and elaborately crafted porch detailing were exceptional in a rural farming community at the time of construction. The cotton house is a one-story, gable-front pine structure that rests on a stone foundation. The well house is a pyramidal roofed structure supported by four peeled posts. The well itself is constructed of wood and has a hand crank and pail still in place. Listed in the National Register April 30, 1998.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.