|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Obediah Shirley House, Anderson County (Bagwell Rd., Honea Path)
|Facade||Left Elevation||Right Elevation||Rear Elevation|| Interior-Log
The Obediah Shirley House sits on a one-acre site located outside Honea Path and is an excellent example of a simple plantation farmhouse, or I-House. The house is a two-story, 4-bay gable roofed frame structure. There is a one-story front shed porch and kitchen ell in the rear, and two exterior end chimneys. The fieldstone used for the chimneys and foundation came from a quarry that was part of the original property. The house was built in several phases, to accommodate the changing needs of the households who occupied it until the late 1880s. The original core of the building was a one-story log structure built circa 1826 by Obediah Shirley. This was extended at least twice by the addition of two rooms to the north and a second story. After 1850, another room was added, extending the house’s width to three rooms. The front porch and kitchen ell were added in the latter half of the nineteenth century. The log framing has inverted re-notched corners. The front fašade has two entrance doors, symmetrically placed, leading to rooms at each end of the house. The Shirley family occupied the house for approximately sixty years and farmed the property for more than 150 years. Listed in the National Register September 3, 1999
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.