South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Ralph John Ramer House, Anderson County (402 Boulevard St., Anderson)
S1081770401501 S1081770401502 S1081770401503 S1081770401504 S1081770401505
Facade Facade
Main Entrance
Right Oblique Left Oblique Left Wing Facade
S1081770401506 S1081770401507 S1081770401508 S1081770401509 S1081770401510
Right Wing Facade Rear Elevation Left Wing
Rear Elevation
Left Wing
Side Elevation
Garden Landscape
and Rear Elevation
S1081770401511 S1081770401512 S1081770401513 S1081770401514 S1081770401515
Main Entrance
Window Detail Rear Entrance
Main Entrance
Panelled Passageway
S1081770401516 S1081770401517 S1081770401518 S1081770401519 S1081770401520
Dining Room
Rear Entrance
and Stairway
Stairway Detail
Fireplace Mantle
Floor Plan

(Ramer-Stringer-Rainey House) The Ralph John Ramer House, constructed in 1930, is significant as an excellent example of an early twentieth century Tudor Revival residence; as an important residential design of Henry Irven Gaines, architect of Asheville, NC; and for its association with Ralph John Ramer, a prominent Anderson businessman, government official, military officer and civic leader. It is particularly significant also as an extensive residential design and construction in the midst of the Depression. The house, with a sprawling plan of approximately six thousand square feet, has a poured concrete foundation and is of brick and stone masonry construction. There are three visible components of the house: the main entry block with a projecting two story gable, the one-and-one-half story east wing, and the one-and-one-half story west wing that angles toward the rear of the property. The unusual, asymmetrical shape and the presence of dormers on the wings are cause for very complex roof with a combination of gable, hip, and jerkinhead forms. Clay tiles, manufactured to simulate wood shingles, protect the roof. The wood and metal casement windows, all with lead panes, vary between paired and tripartite and have transoms over each. A formal landscape and garden exists at the Ramer House; however, much of it was not developed until the 1940s and 1950s by Mrs. Nancy F. Stringer, who purchased it in 1946 from Ramer’s estate. The garden design, though not executed in complete conformity with the 1931 drawings, was planned by noted Charlotte, NC, landscape architect, Earle S. Draper. Listed in the National Register February 10, 1992.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.