South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Nick Prevost House, Anderson County (105 N. Prevost St., Anderson)
S1081770401401 S1081770401402 S1081770401403 S1081770401404 S1081770401405
Facade Left Oblique Right Oblique Left Elevation Left Rear Oblique
S1081770401406 S1081770401407 S1081770401408 S1081770401409 S1081770401410
Rear Elevation Right Rear Oblique Interior
Main Entrance
Interior
Sliding Doors
Facade
ca. 1880
S1081770401411        
German Pavilion
Centennial Exhibition
of 1876-Philadelphia

The Prevost House was originally constructed in 1877 for Nick Prevost, an Anderson businessman. It is significant for its architectural design. The house was constructed in the Renaissance Revival style along the lines of the German Pavilion at the Centennial Exhibition of 1876 in Philadelphia. Prevost and his wife visited the Exhibition and were impressed by the Pavilion designed by H.J. Schwarzmann. The house is a one-story, frame residence on a high brick foundation. The building has a central, rectangular block with flanking wings to the east and west. In its original configuration, the fašade was characterized by a central, three-bay, arcaded portico based on Renaissance precedents, with engaged Tuscan colonettes in the piers, semicircular arches with pronounced keystones and a bracketed cornice. The central block of the house has a low-hipped roof sheathed in standing seam metal. Simulated quoins define the corners of the block. Each of the wings has a lower roofline, consistent with the portico’s cornice. Single stuccoed brick chimneys with octagonal caps rise within each wing. The details of the fašade were originally defined by contrasting paint. The house has undergone several significant alterations since its construction. The original outbuildings have been destroyed. Listed in the National Register July 10, 1984. The Nick Prevost House is no longer extant. Removed from the National Register December 8, 2005.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.