|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Pendleton Historic District, Anderson County (Pendleton)
| St. Paul's Episcopal
| Pendleton Presbyterian
|Old Stone Church||Farmers Society Hall|| Faith Cabin
|Hunter's Store|| James Hunter
|Sitton House||Boxwood|| Elam Sharpe
|Montpelier||Edens House||Lowther Hall||Poe House||Benson House|
| Andrew Pickens
|Liberty Hall||Jones' Rifles||Marshalsea|
Pendleton, original county seat of Old Pendleton District (now Anderson, Oconee, and Pickens counties) is one of South Carolina’s earliest upcountry towns. The town was laid out in 1790 and is basically unchanged. The village green remains the focal point. Dogwoods line many streets; massive cedars and oaks are dominant throughout the area. More than 50 buildings of eighteenth and nineteenth century significance remain, the majority within the town limits. The district includes more than a dozen historic sites. Properties in the district include commercial, religious, and residential examples. The architecture reflects the early settlement by families from Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginian and North Carolina, as well as a later influx of summering Charlestonians. Styles and types range from Greek Revival to Gothic Revival, I-Houses to Bungalows. Early houses were generally built on a central hall plan, with two rooms downstairs with a rear ell. A later style, ca. 1830-1840, was one-story, sometimes on a raised basement that housed workrooms. The “Charleston-style” houses had large porches on 2 or 3 sides, with the basic house shape being a cube, with 2 to 4 rooms on each floor. Construction was typically of wood frame, although stone and brick examples survive as well. Listed in the National Register August 25, 1970.
View a map showing the boundaries of the Pendleton Historic District.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.