|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Pelzer Presbyterian Church, Anderson County (13 Lebby St., Pelzer)
|Facade||Facade||Right Oblique||Left Oblique||Left Eleavtion|
|Right Elevation||Rear Elevation||Main Entrance|| Interior
Pelzer Presbyterian Church is exemplary of the small, late nineteenth century frame gable-front form favored by many conservative denominations throughout South Carolina. The church was one of five sanctuaries constructed in the town in large part with funds donated by the Pelzer Manufacturing Company and is the only one of the original five churches still standing. The sanctuary, built in 1896, is significant as an excellent example of the late Victorian Gothic Revival style rendered in a modest vernacular interpretation. The church features impressive stained and leaded glass windows throughout the nave and is further distinguished by a projecting vestibule with tongue-and-groove wainscoting and lancet shaped doorways. The main block of the church building follows a traditional rectangular form with a gable front roof and is sheathed in weatherboard. A gable roof vestibule projects from the fašade. The vestibule is articulated by shaped wood shingles above paired entrances rendered in a Gothic arch design. A two-story, five-sided Sunday school classroom was added in 1905. It is a definitive example of the “Akron plan,” a popular turn of the century concept designed to maximize the teaching of Sunday School classes. The church is representative of the small town, late nineteenth-century churches which served both rural and town congregations throughout the state. Listed in the National Register December 13, 1993.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.