|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
McFall House, Anderson County (S.C. Sec. Rd. 247, Anderson vicinity)
(Brick House) The McFall House in rural Anderson County was built ca. 1825 as a residence for Andrew N. McFall. McFall built the house on a portion of his father’s land and was a prosperous farmer for the area. The house is a substantial two-story, brick edifice, one of the largest and earliest houses remaining from the early years of settlement of Anderson County. It is the earliest known brick building in the county. The house is of a vernacular central-hall, double pile plan with four exterior chimneys and a side-gabled roof. A single, rectangular, louvered attic vent is beneath each gable. The foundation is of uncoursed fieldstone. Stylistic pretensions in the McFall House are limited to the transom and sidelights on the southwest elevation entrance, the brick jack arches and the interior woodwork. The distinctive brick work of the house is its most noticeable feature. The walls are load-bearing, three courses thick, and are laid in common bond with the sixth courses bonding. Overall the house embodies the characteristics of brick construction of the early nineteenth century. Listed in the National Register June 28, 1982. The McFall house is no longer extant. Removed from the National Register December 8, 2005.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.