|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Chamberlain-Kay House, Anderson County (205 River St., Belton)
|Left Oblique||Right Rear Elevation||Porch Detail|| Interior-Central
Hall and Stairs
(Charles C. Chamberlain House) The Chamberlain-Kay House was built ca. 1854 as a residence for Charles C. Chamberlain. Chamberlain served as the first supervisor of the rail line from Belton to Greenville and after Belton was incorporated, he was chosen as the first intendant. The Chamberlain-Kay House is considered to be the oldest surviving residence in Belton. Architecturally, the Chamberlain-Kay House exemplifies the effect of the changing architectural tastes and fashions on a vernacular house form in the nineteenth and early twentieth century. The house is an adaptation of the Piedmont Farmhouse, or I-House, type, with period elaborations and additions. The original board and beveled batten siding, as well as the bargeboards and brackets, represent the Carpenter Gothic fashion, while the doorway, with its transom and sidelights and anthemion ornament, represents the Greek Revival. The metal shingles on the roof, as well as the cedar shingles on the second story represent the variegated textures of the Queen Anne style. Each successive style was imposed upon the basic form, creating the amalgamative building surviving today. The house was repositioned to its present northwest orientation between 1911 and 1922. Several alterations or additions have also since occurred. Listed in the National Register November 25, 1980.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.