|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Caldwell-Johnson-Morris Cottage, Anderson County (220 E. Morris St., Anderson)
|Right Oblique||Left Oblique||Right Elevation||Left Elevation||Rear Elevation|
The Caldwell-Johnson-Morris Cottage was built ca. 1851 by Nancy M. Caldwell. The house is a perfect example of the “raised cottage” genre of houses which were built extensively in the nineteenth century. A one-story, raised brick basement elevates the house and gives the effect of a two-story dwelling. The fašade has high wooden steps which lead to a pedimented portico on the main floor level. This central portico is supported by four square columns and is enclosed with a balustrade. The house stands out for several blocks due to its situation as an island with access streets on all sides. The house was also home to Dr. William Bullein Johnson, a Baptist minister, leader, and pioneer in the area of female education. In 1830, he began a twenty-two year career as principal of the Edgefield Female Academy. In 1853 Dr. Johnson assumed to role of chancellor and teacher at Johnson Female University, the forerunner of Anderson College. Listed in the National Register October 7, 1971.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.