|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Belton Standpipe, Anderson County (McGee St., Belton)
(Belton Waterworks Tower) The Belton Standpipe is a 155-foot high concrete water tower located one block east of the central business district of Belton. While it is commonly known as the “Belton Standpipe,” the structure is actually a water tower, as a standpipe normally stores water its entire length. The “standpipe,” which was constructed in 1908-09, is still used as a water storage source. The standpipe is significant as one of the state’s earliest extant examples of water storage facilities in concrete construction, which gained popularity in the United States in the early twentieth century. In 1908, Belton voters gave the Belton Town Council approval to issue bonds in the amount of $12,500 to finance a plant for the municipal waterworks systems. It is also significant as a town landmark and as an intact remnant of and symbol of an important period of growth and development in the town’s history. The tower is freestanding and of concrete construction in segmented rings. The rings were created by the pouring of concrete in stages, giving the effect of stone construction. The structure extends thirty feet into the ground, widening out in a funnel shape. The cap is crowned by crenellations. There are no stairs on the interior, as with some other towers of this type. Listed in the National Register November 5, 1987.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.