|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Ashtabula, Anderson County (off S.C. Hwy. 88, Pendleton vicinity)
|Left Oblique||Right Elevation|| Right Rear Oblique
|Main Entrance|| Drawing Room
(Gibbes-Broyles-Latta-Pelzer House) Ashtabula is significant as an example of lowcountry plantation architecture brought by Charleston families who settled around Pendleton. Built in 1828, Ashtabula is a large, almost square, two-story white frame house, four bays wide with green louvered shutters. It is surrounded on three sides by wide one-story piazzas. These are supported by square columns with vertical panels that are matched on both inside and outside doors. A covered passageway connects the main house with a two story brick building with hipped roof and one central chimney that served as the old kitchen and servants quarters. There is a small well and milk cooling house nearby. Ashtabula is closely associated with the lives of prominent local, state, and national figures. All of the early owners were members of the Pendleton Farmers Society, founded in 1815 and were leaders in the community’s educational, religious, and social life. Some notable owners include Dr. O.R. Broyles, James Latta and Francis Pelzer. Dr. Broyles, who purchased the house in 1837, was widely known for his advanced agricultural practices and for such inventions as the subsoil plow. John C. Calhoun was a frequent guest of Dr. Broyles at Ashtabula. James Latta purchased the property in 1851 and introduced fine cattle stock into the upcountry. In 1880, Ashtabula became the property of industrial leader Francis Pelzer, who organized the Pelzer Manufacturing Company and for whom the cotton mills and town of Pelzer are named. Listed in the National Register May 23, 1972.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.