|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Anderson Historic District, Anderson County
| St. John's United
515 S. McDuffie St.
|514 S. McDuffie St.|| Wilhite House
604 S. McDuffie St.
|710 S. McDuffie St.|| Grace Episcopal Church
711 S. McDuffie St.
| Poppe House
805 S. McDuffie St.
|806 S. McDuffie St.||808 S. McDuffie St.||813 S. McDuffie St.||823 S. McDuffie St.|
| Mill Village
900 Block S. McDuffie
| Sullivan-Thompson House
1023 S. McDuffie St.
| Brownlee-Brown House
219 Franklin St.
| Dooly House
216 Franklin St.
|212 Franklin St.|
|Page 1 of 2|
Anderson came into being in 1826 with the formation of Anderson County, and as a courthouse seat, the community was quick to develop. With cotton being grown in the region, industrialization arrived in the form of cotton mills, bringing the town to city status by the beginning of the twentieth century. The Anderson historic district contains a variety of architectural styles including Greek Revival, Romanesque Revival, Victorian, and Colonial Revival. The district is primarily comprised of residential buildings, but also includes a number of churches, the buildings dating from antebellum times to the turn of the nineteenth century. The nomination notes that streets have been widened over the years to accommodate modern traffic, but that the district retains much of its original charm. Trees stand tall and in great number in the yards and along the streets. Some twentieth century buildings have been added to the area, but the overall commercial impact in the district is slight. Listed in the National Register December 13, 1971.
View a map showing the boundaries of the Anderson Historic District.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.