|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Anderson College Historic District, Anderson County (316 Boulevard Ave., Anderson)
|Main Entrance||Denmark Hall||West Loggia|| Merritt
|Pratt Hall|| Pratt and
In the spring of 1910 the Anderson Chamber of Commerce inaugurated a subscription campaign to raise money to build a college for young women in Anderson. The school’s supporters intended for the college to be affiliated with a church. In late November 1910, the South Carolina Baptist Convention met in Laurens and agreed to use the money and land to create a Baptist college. The first session opened in September 1912 with a student body of 115 young women. The Anderson College Historic District consists of a largely intact collection of five academic buildings and one landscape feature, the grounds, historically associated with the college. In addition to oak trees, the grounds include a number of mature magnolias, dogwoods, and evergreens that add to the park-like setting. A sidewalk extends through the lawn from Boulevard to the Merritt Administration Building, emphasizing its importance historically as the central structure or focal point of the campus and surrounding area. The original section of Anderson College, built between 1912 and 1920, contains four buildings, two loggias and a connector. In addition, the lodge (built ca. 1915-1920) is located at the main entrance near the Boulevard. The Neo-Classical style of architecture is consistent with each building, but every structure has individual qualities that add to their unique character. Listed in the National Register May 20, 1998.
View a map showing the boundaries of the Anderson College Historic District.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.