|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Virginia Durant Young House, Allendale County (U.S. Hwy. 278, Fairfax)
|Facade||Right Oblique||Left Oblique||Left Elevation||Rear Elevation|
(Fairfax Public Library) The Virginia Durant Young House is a one and one-half story frame, weatherboarded, vernacular Victorian cottage associated with the career of Virginia Durant Young, journalist, novelist, humanitarian, political activist and internationally recognized leader of the women’s suffrage movement in South Carolina and the nation. The house was probably built ca. 1881, shortly after Mrs. Young and her husband, Dr. William Jasper Young acquired the property. The home also served as the office for Mrs. Young’s newspaper, the Fairfax Enterprise and as the office for Dr. Young’s medical practice. The house rests on brick piers and has an irregular U-shaped plan that incorporated a medical office for Dr. Young. The core of the house has a gable roof with boxed cornice and returns and features two interior chimneys and one exterior chimney now enclosed by the addition to the northwest of the house. Two gable-roofed dormers pierce the front slope of the roof. A slightly recessed flat-roofed wing with a bracketed cornice extends from the right side of the building. The building, at time of nomination, housed the Fairfax Public Library. Listed in the National Register August 8, 1983.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.