|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Smyrna Baptist Church, Allendale County (S.C. Hwy. 22, Allendale vicinity)
|Facade||Right Oblique|| Interior
(Kirkland Church) Smyrna Baptist Church is an antebellum frame structure of meeting house design set upon a low brick foundation. The exact dates of construction are not known, but local tradition maintains that the present structure was erected in 1827, the year the church was organized. A central Palladian window flanked by balancing nine-paneled entrance doors with transoms characterizes the front entrance. Both side facades feature five 9/9 windows with louvered shutters with eyebrow type windows located above each window. A cemetery surrounds the church. The original roof was covered by metal in the 1970s. The church exemplifies the meetinghouse design, which gained prominence in the early nineteenth century. Smyrna Baptist was organized in 1827 and was called Kirkland Church, a member of the Savannah River Baptist Association. Associated with the early history of the church is the heresy trial on charges of heterodoxy against Dr. W. R. Erwin, his wife Julia Robert and her sister-in-law Rachel Robert. The trial was held when the parties asked for an official ruling on their views about communion. In July 1833 the three were excommunicated from Kirkland Church and later formed Antioch Christian Church. Listed in the National Register May 28, 1976.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.