|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Roselawn, Allendale County (S.C. Hwy. 47, Allendale vicinity)
(Lawton House) Roselawn stands out not only as an example of early nineteenth century architecture, but also as a plantation that has been maintained and farmed continuously by one family throughout its entire history. Roselawn is one of the few plantations of the Buddenville area that was not destroyed during the Civil War. Lawton family tradition holds that Union General Hugh Judson Kilpatrick camped at Roselawn while in the area. Roselawn is a pine-clapboard, one-and-one-half story raised cottage built by Joseph Alexander Lawton. The home was begun ca. 1835 and completed ca. 1840 and it has remained in the Lawton family throughout its entire history. It is a classic example of the raised cottage style of architecture. Three dormer windows and a piazza, which extends its entire length, characterize the front fašade. Originally the piazza extended halfway down each side of the structure but through the years most of it has been enclosed. The rear piazza has also been partially enclosed on each side. Brick pillars, nine feet high, support the piazzas. A broken gable roof covers the structure. The original shingle roof was covered by tin ca. 1900. Two of the three single brick chimneys were destroyed by tornadoes in 1960 but were reconstructed as close in style to the originals as possible. The floor plan is basically rectangular. There are four rooms in the basement, nine on the main floor, with a central hall, and two rooms connected by a small landing on the upper floor. Listed in the National Register May 28, 1976.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.