|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Lawton Mounds, Allendale County
|Lawton Mounds||Lawton Mounds|
The Lawton Mounds Site consists of two low earthen flat-topped mounds and surrounding village area, enclosed by a ditch and parapet. The site is located on a heavily forested low terrace of the Savannah River. An old slough of cypress swamp separates the site from the modern river channel. The North Mound is essentially rectangular, 65 x 70 feet at the base, standing five feet above the terrace. The South Mound is 100 feet distant from the first, also rectangular, 70 x 85 feet at the base and 7.5 feet high. A ditch surrounding the mounds and village area is 15 to 20 feet wide and about 3 feet deep. The small pottery collection obtained, as well as the platform mounds themselves, indicates construction and occupation during the Savannah II period, approximately AD 1200-1300. There is no other known Savannah period village site in South Carolina, and there is no other mound site in the state so well preserved. Archaeologically, the Savannah II period is of particular interest because of evidence for the spread of strong ceremonialism into the South Carolina-Georgia area at this time. Listed in the National Register June 19, 1972.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
cImages provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.